Cambridge Nature Festival 2023
26th May – 2nd July
A celebration of the nature on our doorstep!
- This event has passed.
An Introduction to Natural Oil Paint Making
June 24 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£95
Discover the secret of making paints using natural pigment rocks and learn various techniques for how to use them. You’ll also explore the creative potential of your handmade paints and produce a natural painting to take home!
In this hands-on day workshop, you will discover the secret of making paints using natural pigment rocks and learn various techniques for how to use them. You’ll also have the opportunity to explore the creative potential of your handmade paints and produce a natural painting to take home.
Experienced artist, Kelly will teach you how to grind up natural pigments using pigment rocks and even things you may already have in your home, such as egg shells and wax candles. You will learn how to bind the pigments into a beautifully smooth oil paint which you will then use to create and explore patterns and paintings inspired by David Parr House.
In this workshop, you will:
- Have an inspirational walk through David Parr House
- Learn about natural pigments; their historical and contemporary use
- Produce a selection of oil paints made from natural minerals and materials
- Experiment with your new oil paints to create a painting
- Enjoy tea, coffee, soft drinks and biscuits
- Go home with your newly crafted paints, a painting you’ve made plus all the knowledge about how to continue making your own paints at home
All materials, including aprons, will be provided.
Please bring a packed lunch.
All money raised from our workshops goes towards maintaining David Parr House – thank you for supporting us.
Location: Visitor Centre, David Parr House, 184 Gwydir Street, Cambridge CB1 2LW. Meet at 184 Gwydir Street, Cambridge, CB1 2LW (ring the doorbell at arrival)
For more information see: https://davidparrhouse.org/
To book: https://davidparrhouse.org/product/an-introduction-to-natural-paint-making-with-kelly-briggs/